Home ownership long term solutions

he options you have when you’re splitting up with a civil partner, spouse or unmarried partner will be based on the rights you both have to your home, and other issues such as finances and whether you have children.

Sorting out long-term rights for owner-occupied property – for example who owns what share, who will occupy the home, claiming a beneficial interest (share) – is complicated, as everyone’s situation is different. You are likely to need the help of a solicitor specialising in family law to understand your options and when making final decisions.  In the first instance contact a Shelter Cymru adviser, who will be able to refer you to a family law solicitor, or to mediation.

This page do not provide further advice on this topic.

< back to families and relationships

Page last updated: February 15, 2013